Sunday, April 18, 2010

The blog begins...

On Sunday, June 6, 2010, my Daughter, Erin, our family dog, Holly and I will begin our road trip to Alaska. Starting from our present home in Goshen, Kentucky, we will travel over four thousand four hundred miles in less than two weeks to our new home in Palmer, Alaska. We're going all this way in my 2001 Ford F250 pickup truck which I expect will average a whopping 13.5 miles per gallon. Mapquest estimates this 4,470-mile trip as taking 77 hours and 15 minutes of actual road time with a fuel cost totalling around $1,035.

Click on the map below and take a look for yourself:




























We will be journaling everything along the way including all the planning and, of course, the trip itself. When I say "we will be journaling", I'm referring to both me and my 11-year-old daughter, Erin - she's a very talented writer.




We sincerely hope you'll follow us on this blog where we'll record our travels from Goshen, Kentucky westbound across America to well-known stops like Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone National Park. At Yellowstone, we'll turn north and run a few thousand miles along the eastern face of the Rocky Mountains. We'll describe our border crossing into Canada as we set our sights on joining the Alaskan-Canadian (ALCAN) Highway at Dawson Creek in British Columbia.

The ALCAN will be our route through British Columbia and Yukon, Canada all the way into Alaska. Once there, Interstate A1 will take us rest of the way until we reach our destination in Palmer.

We'll do our best to keep the writing lively and interesting and hope you'll give us your feedback.
-Andy

5 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to following you so much. Will Holly provide some blogging as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! We'll get her little paws to typing just as soon as she gets on the road. She's also gonna spell me on the driving on some of the more remote stretches of highway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is simply the best idea in the world. It is so cool. I cant wait to see all that you guys share and see. The only problem I have is that it is going further away from NJ. But here is a thought I have a friend in Alaska that I grew up with. Maybe when your family gets their you can make a connection. God Bless Dave Winch

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I forgot to tell you to bring a lot of duct tape you never know what you might need to tape like a truck door shut!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, that wasn't duct tape we used on the last road trip fiasco (aka:"the canoe trip from hell"). It was good-ole' fashioned rope and boy scout knots holding my door on. Chick really waffled my Ford S-10 door! I'll never forget that trip - no one who went ever will. Thanks for following Erin's and my trip and for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete